Every fandom comes with its own set of responsibilities. And anime is no different.
Anime enthusiasts all over the world share more than just a passion for the medium. They utilize a lot of anime-related terms, which can be confusing for newcomers. They are, nonetheless, vital to know if you wish to engage in lively anime discussion!
These are the 30 most important anime terms for newcomers to know! 🙂
Common popular anime words for newbies
1. Waifu/ Husbando
- a term for a fictional character, usually in anime, that someone has great (and usually romantic) affection for.
- a Japanese word for cute.
3. Onii-chan/ Onee-chan
- Onii-chan is a Japanese word meaning big brother; Onee-chan is a female equivalent (big sister).
- a Japanese honorific used when someone is older than you in age or they have more experience in a field than you.
- a Japanese term for a character development process that portrays a person who is initially cold (and sometimes even hostile) before gradually showing a warmer, friendlier side over time.
- a Japanese term for a person who seems sweet and nice at first glance but acts obsessive and violent when it comes to their love interest.
- a Japanese term for a person who demands to be treated like royalty by their loved ones (princess complex).
- a Japanese term for a very sweet, energetic, and carefree person.
- refers to prepubescent-looking girls.
- a Japanese word for the author of the manga.
11. Fan service
- intentionally incorporating material in anime/manga to please the audience (a character wearing a sexy bathing suit for example).
- literally means Anime Music Video; usually edited and created by anime fans, contains various scenes from anime and a fitting soundtrack.
13. Otome game
- a story-based video game that is targeting the female audience.
- a Japanese word for idiot.
- a popular Japanese term depicting typical characteristics of the ahegao face (rolled or crossed eyes, a hanging tongue, and flushed cheeks to show enjoyment); this term is heavily used in the erotic manga, anime (hentai), and video games.
- a Japenese word for love.
17. Bishounen/ Bishoujo
- a Japanese term literally meaning a beautiful youth (boy) and its equivalent for a beautiful young girl (Bishoujo)
- a popular term from a well-known anime Naruto; has no literal meaning and cannot be translated, but carries the connotations of the speaker being uncultured, brusque, and childish.
- nowadays used in the anime community as a term to depict a hardcore anime fan.
- a derisive term for a non-Japanese person who is extremely obsessed with Japanese culture and wishes they were actually Japanese.
- a Japanese word depicting a perverse sexual desire; outside Japan, it is used as a term describing anime and manga pornography.
Popular anime genres explained for newbies
- target-demographic of this genre are young teen males,
- usually contains a lot of action,
- the protagonist is a male (of a similar age as the target demographic, so 12-18),
- includes comedy elements.
- the equivalent of shounen anime for young teen females,
- typically revolves around emotions and relationships,
- the main character is female.
- an accidental travel genre (a normal person from Earth being transported to, reborn, or otherwise trapped in a parallel universe or fantasy world).
- involves a lesbian relationship.
- involves a gay relationship.
- marketed toward young adult men (late teens to their 30s).
- a rare genre that targets late teen or adult female audiences.
- a genre that works with sexual overtones (shows some lewd content).
9. Harem/ Reverse Harem
- a male anime character is adored and surrounded by multiple females,
- usually involves polygynous/polyandrous relationships, so there is either love or sexual interest included between 3 or more people,
- a reverse harem is the equivalent of a harem for females (the female MC is surrounded by multiple males).
For more anime genres explained, check out this article.
BEFORE YOU GO...
Thanks for reading my article!
If you enjoyed it, please consider supporting me on Patreon. As a Patron, you'll gain access to exclusive perks like stunning AI artworks that are not shared anywhere else, personalized AI-generated art pieces, and the ability to shape the future of this blog by suggesting topics you'd like me to cover.
Your support means everything to me and enables me to keep creating content that I'm passionate about. ✨
Also, you're welcome to join our 9 Tailed Kitsune Anime Discord community. We'd love to have you there! 🙌
Thanks, really appreciate this list. I’m not a newbie but i still haven’t learned most terms. This was really helpful!
Happy to help! ❤
I so like your name.. Misaka,,. reminds me of Attack on titans
thank you, haha, the name is actually from the Toaru series, though