Naruto is one of the best and most popular shounen anime we all love. The power of friendship, sense of justice, love and kindness along with powerful character development is just pleasant to watch. Add some superpowers, epic fighting scenes and a good storyline and you have a perfect shounen anime!
On top of that Naruto is probably the most known anime ever – in other words, even people (mainly young) who don’t watch anime usually know what Naruto is.
So let’s get to the point.
How to watch Naruto and why is it this way?
TLDR (without spoilers)
- Watch Naruto till episode 101/ 106
- Naruto the Movie: Ninja Clash in the Land of Snow
- Watch Naruto episodes 102/107-160
- Naruto the Movie: Legend of the Stone of Gelel
- Watch Naruto episodes 161-196
- Naruto The Movie 3: Guardians of the Crescent Moon Kingdom
- Finish Naruto TV Series (197-220)
- Watch Naruto Shippuden until you reach episode 53
- Naruto Shippuden: The Movie
- Watch Naruto Shippuden episodes 54-89
- Naruto Shippuden The Movie: Inheritors of the Will of Fire
- Continue watching Naruto Shippuden’s episodes 90-111
- Naruto Shippuden The Movie: Bonds
- Pick up Naruto Shippuden at episode 112 and watch until 152/154
- Naruto Shippuden The Movie: The Lost Tower
- Naruto Shippuden The Movie: Blood Prison (you can watch it after The Lost Tower)
- Watch Naruto Shippuden episodes 153/155-251
- Naruto Shippuden The Movie: Road to Ninja
- Finish Naruto Shippuden TV Series (252-500)
- Naruto Shippuden The Movie: The Last
- Boruto: Naruto The Movie – The Day Naruto Became Hokage
- Boruto: Naruto The Movie
- Boruto (TV series)
* Please don’t check the explanation below if you are not prepared for potential spoilers!
1. Naruto (2002-2007)
- contains 200 episodes
- this is the first anime adaptation of the manga and you should watch it till episode 101 or 106 or somewhere between and then pick up on the first movie which is below.
2. Ninja Clash in the Land of Snow (movie)
- to clarify why – Sakura’s hair is short in the movie and she had previously cut it during the chuunin exams.
3. Legend of the Stone of Gelel (movie)
- this takes place after episode 160 of Naruto.
4. Guardians of the Crescent Moon Kingdom (movie)
- this is set after episode 196 due to Sasuke’s missing presence.
5. Naruto Shippuden (2007-2017) – contains 500 episodes
- this is the second anime adaptation of the manga and it’s a continuation of Naruto’s story,
- watch it until episode 53, then complete the first movie below.
6. Naruto Shippuden: The Movie
- the story is in the timeline when Naruto, Sakura, Sai, and Yamato return to the village.
7. Inheritors of the Will of Fire (movie)
- this is set after episode 89 due to the huge influence of two Arcs – Hidan and Kazuku.
8. Bonds (movie)
- we know that this happened after Orochimaru was sick, which happened around when Sasuke was about to kill Orochimaru so I suggest watching it after episode 111.
9. The Lost Tower (movie)
- somewhere after 152-154 episode, before Pain attacked Konoha and after Jiraya-sensei died.
10. Blood Prison (movie)
- you can watch this actually whenever you feel like it as long as you are already at this point because it’s hard to pinpoint where it belongs chronologically.
11. Road to Ninja (movie)
- the events take place after episode 251.
12. The Last (movie)
- watch it after episode 500.
13. Boruto: Naruto The Movie – The Day Naruto Became Hokage
- after episode 500 of Naruto Shippuden you will be blessed to see what actually happened afterward,
- this was also a good strategy to promote a new anime – Boruto.
14. Boruto: Naruto The Movie
- this happens during Chuunin exams of Boruto: Naruto Next Generations.
15. Boruto (2017 – currently airing)
- I really don’t want to discourage you but even if you are a hardcore fan of Naruto this anime will probably disappoint your expectations,
- you can still see Naruto (grown-up) so that’s probably the best thing about this anime otherwise.