This post contains affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something, I may earn a small commission, without any extra cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank you!
Attack on Titan is a massive sensation & loved by the majority of anime fans. No wonder, it’s an anime with a solid story and relatable characters.
AOT is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Hajime Isayama.
An anime TV series adapting the manga was produced by Wit Studio (seasons 1–3) and MAPPA (season 4). AOT: The Final Season has finished airing recently.
It follows the story of Eren Yaeger, whose life turns upside down after the wall protecting his village from Titans (monstrous humanoid creatures) gets breached, bringing havoc on the whole village behind. He loses a close relative in a very gruesome way and witnesses firsthand the atrocious power of Titans.
After this traumatic experience, driven by anger, Eren decides to dedicate his life to the eradication of Titans by enlisting into the Survey Corps, an elite military unit that fights the Titans outside the protection of the remaining walls.
Did you know that AOT: The Final Season has become the 2nd highest-rated anime on MaL?
Since it’s so popular and many people are wondering how to watch it in the right order, here is a complete Attack on Titan viewing guide, including OVAs + movies.
AOT Viewing Order
|Attack on Titan Season 1||2013|
|Ilse’s Notebook (OVA)||2013|
|The Sudden Visitor: The Torturous Curse of Youth (OVA)||2014|
|Attack on Titan Season 2||2017|
|Lost Girls Ep 1 & 2 (OVA)||2017|
|Attack on Titan Season 3 (First Half)||2018|
|No Regrets Ep 1 & 2 (OVA)||2014 – 2015|
|Lost Girls Ep 3 (OVA)||2017|
|Attack on Titan: Junior High||2015|
|Attack on Titan Season 3 (Second Half)||2019|
|Attack on Titan: Chronicle (Movie)||2020|
|Attack on Titan: The Final Season||2020, Currently airing|
Now I would recommend you to watch all of them with 2 of them being optional (Attack on Titan: Junior High, Attack on Titan: Chronicle).
The Attack on Titan OVAs are basically bonus episodes. There are currently 8 OVAs.
I will explain more about AOT OVAs below.
- Ilse’s Notebook: A story about a Survey Corps soldier who gets lost on an Expedition and encounters a strange Titan. This is the only plot-relevant OVA and should not be skipped.
- Sudden Visitor: A lighthearted comedy story set during the training days (optional).
- Distress: A more serious story about an incident that happened on a training mission (optional).
- No Regrets Parts 1& 2: Levi’s backstory about how he joined the Survey Corps. It’s also fine to watch this after S1 since it has spoilers for it. Should not be skipped.
- Lost Girls Parts 1, 2: A story featuring Annie’s activities halfway through S1. Watch it only after you completed S2.
- Lost Girls Part 3: Lost Girls’ last story has spoilers for Season 1, Season 2, and also the first half of Season 3, hence you should watch it after you complete S3 (First Half).
AOT: Junior High can be completely skipped, it’s basically a chibi comedy of the original version.
Attack on Titan: Chronicle is a movie that recaps the anime’s 59 episodes from seasons one to three, so if you remember the stuff that happened before there is no need to watch it. Although, if you are a die-hard AOT fan you might want to watch them all without any exceptions.
The rest of them are essential for the plot so you really should watch them.
While you are here, check out these realistic portraits of AOT characters made by an A.I. program!
Hi, my name is Mia and I’m the founder of 9 Tailed Kitsune.
I love anime, games, and esports (I am also a bit weird).
My passion for anime sparked when I was about 7 (Phantom Thief Jeanne, hello!) and has never stopped.